Friday, June 8, 2012

Kilimanjaro Day 6

May 31, 2012

A long, uninterrupted night's sleep did wonders for me. My people tolerance level went back up, my cough dried out and I'm all around rejuvenated. We left early today hoping to get back to Moshi so the guys could help me out in town. Now that we're at the bottom of the mountain the car isn't ready. The walk down was long and painful, but stunning. The second half was all in the forest, covered with a lush canopy. It was so great to be in the woods without people following me, asking for things or making me feel threatened like in Ethiopia. I forgot how nice that could be. Again, Samuel was rushing me and walking so close behind me to speed me up, which was a little annoying but I kept my own pace and enjoyed my walk in the woods. We passed two waterfalls, different flora, crossed bridges and enjoyed the sound of birds, rain and streams. We passed a few hikers on the way up, looking as excited as I did 5 days ago. When we made it to Marangu Gate we registered, claimed my success and got the coveted gold bordered certificate. Now I'm sitting at a local restaurant. The food here was good, spiced rice, cabbage, meat with brown sauce over white rice, bean soup and bananas. Now I'm ready to go back to the hotel. Shower. Get clothes washed. Get a beer. Prepare for safari.




                                   *                  *                     *                   *                    *

Got back to the hotel. The man at the desk said that I'd be better off to buy paintings in Arusha on safari. That gave me time to relax and prepare for the next big adventure. Upon arrival the team and I had awkward speeches and my certificate ceremony. Kind of lame with just me, but in Africa certificates are kind of a big deal. And this one is kind of a big deal to me. We parted ways and I had my first beer in 31 days. It was a tall boy called Kilimanjaro. Relaxing, but just okay as far as beers go. I had a quick briefing with the safari coordinator and, sadly, I'm alone for this leg, too. I emailed home today and broadcasted my accomplishment. So glad I won't have to be too embarrassed to talk about the trip. So far it's been nothing but greatness. 



Last thing before I surrender to this bed. I realized when trying to charge my camera battery that the outlets are different. I asked the front desk if they could help me out. The guy replied "you can plug this in your room, come look". He inserts his metal key in the empty slot. Then I did the same thing. Goes against everything I learned about outlets as a kid. Too funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment